Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer in the Fingerlakes....

Wow, I can't believe I have not posted anything here since January!! No promises this time on my next post but here's an update of what's going on here....

I am enjoying doing contract work for Tompkins County Health Department. Keeps me busy a few days a week, although the kids would rather have me home. It's my way of staying sane having 3 kids home for the summer! Debating on pursuing my DPT starting in January. Will have to see how I handle work, 3 kids in school full time, and all their extra-curricular activities before I make any crazy commitments.

Jack is continuing on his project at Ithaca College thru next summer. Fingers crossed that he will get another project close by because I AM NOT MOVING AGAIN. Thanks, had enough of that. He had back surgery in May for a herniated disc and is thankfully pain free and doing well, although the surgeon cautioned him against going back to running "unless he planned on having surgery again." I'm sure you can guess his decision on that one.

Jacqueline "graduated" from 4th grade in June and is headed to Middle School this fall. She is so excited...mom, not so much. My 1st born can not be going to Middle School...right?? She was just learning to walk last week?? She looks so grown up these days. She is still cheerleading and is toying with the idea of swim team in Middle School.

Allison is headed in to 3rd grade this year and is so happy that she has a bunch of her friends in her class...finally! She is still dancing and did another solo last season. For such a shy kid, she just loves to be on stage and dance. She is also learning to bake and cook and just this morning made pancakes for us all on her own (with mom supervising). She amazes me all the time and in so many ways reminds me of me at her age.

And, Harrison, my little man, is heading off to kindergarten this fall. Yes, I cry every time I think about it. He wasn't even born when we moved here and now here he is heading off to school! He is very excited to be riding the same bus as Allison and going to her school. He is going to try out soccer in the fall as well. He is quite the Lego master and has become quite a good swimmer this summer. And of course he still loves to help his dad with projects around the house.

We did major renovations in our house this year as well. New hardwood floors on the first floor, added a mudroom, and tiled the downstairs bathroom. The biggest project by far was the kitchen....and I love it! Granite counter tops and granite sink just make all the difference in the world. And I must add Jack did this all himself (as if any of you that know him would have doubted that) but the kicker is he did it with a herniated disc...he had his surgery before the kitchen was even done!! Yours truly had to install the sink plumbing with direction from Jack...yes, we're still married after that too!! We are loving the new look in our house. Still have to finish the mudroom floor (tile) and all the trim that we ripped out but it is awesome!!

Jack turned 40 August 1st and to celebrate we headed to Block Island, RI with our good friends, Peter and Emily, to celebrate for a week of beach and great seafood. We brought a babysitter and went out every night! Ate and drank a lot and had so many laughs. It was great and Jack got a chance to relax a bit. He actually didn't even pick up his phone all week - a major accomplishment for Mr. Workaholic!

I am heading to MA with the kids for a visit next week - our last roadtrip for this summer. The craziness will all start too soon! Hoping the weather will hold out so that we can go to the beach again. Of all the things I miss about living in MA, the beach has to be the one I miss the most. The lakes are nice here but just not the same!!

Until next time....
Sam

No comments: